What are your products & what do they do??
- Solar Color Dust! - is a UV sensitive or Photochromic pigment (powder) that changes color from white to it's respective color when exposed to bright sunlight or when placed under a UV black light. Its unique color changing properties can be used to make your project stand out! SCD is great for use in different types of clear plastic resin, epoxy, paint base, lacquer, gels, glues & other applications. It is the same pigment used in popular "Sun Beads". Color changing beads are awesome, but why stop there!?! If you like to create your own crafts, jewelry, paintings, model hobbies, custom toys or even science fair experiments use SolarColorDust to make it Solar!
- Thermal Dust! - is a thermochromic powder which reacts to heat. This heat sensitive pigment looses its color at 86F and warmer! Perfect for model hobby paint, resin and other mediums! We also carry Thermal Dust 77F which has a faster activation rate and also Thermal Dust 72F which is "Cold Sensitive" and gains its color at cold temperatures of 72F and cooler!
- Glow Dust! - is our special glow in the dark powder! Great for many different uses. Glow is brightest within the first 15 minutes and gradually fades over a period of hours.
- Chameleon Pigments! - is a super concentrated color-shifting pigment! Chameleons are used in a wide variety of applications, including automotive paint. Different effects can be reached by painting over a white background or a black background!
- Fluorescent Pigments! - React and glow under black light! Perfect for a multitude of applications!
- Magic Pearls! - Vivid Pearls full of color! Several colors to choose from for your project!
- Dream Dust & Crystal Dust! - Super vibrant light pigment that appears white but sparkles with amazing color!
- Scented Oils! - For candles, soaps, paints, polishes & more! Smells incredible!
- Reflective Powder! - Reflective glass beads used on street signs to refract light! Best when flocked or sprinkles on top of an adhesive.
- Metallic/Magnetic Pigments! - Metallic looking pigments which can be manipulated with strong magnets prior to curing in a base!
- Lazer Glitter! - Colorful glitters with holographic properties!
How much SolarColorDust or Thermal Dust should I use for my project?
We suggest that you work with very small samples on materials that are disposable before committing a large amount of product or working on a valuable object. Recommended mixing ratio for Solar Color Dust and Thermal is one teaspoon (or 1 gram) for 4 oz (the size of an School Glue Bottle) or 10 grams to a a liter of clear base. Increase to achieve desired results with both products. We are not responsible for any undesired outcomes that may occur from use of our products.
How long does SolarColorDust change color for?
SolarColorDust is a photochromic pigment and changes color in sunlight or in UV Blacklight. Natural color is white (blue SCD has a slight tint of green and is darker than white). The color changing effect varies with each color but lasts approximately (in seconds: Blue-:05, Orange-:15, Yellow-:30, Purple-:30, Green-:30, Red-:60 & Sky Blue-:05 when taken out of light. These studies vary with each application the dust is applied to and may not be exact. After taken out of direct sunlight or UV blacklight, it changes back to the original whiteness color and can be used over and over again. Exposure to direct sunlight for a lengthy period of time will damage the pigment with sunburn causing it to lose its color changing ability.
Can I mix Thermal Dust in clear nail polish?
Yes, you can mix Thermal Dust in clear nail polish to achieve color changing polish. Be aware that in some polishes the pigment can start to degrade after a week when mixed in the solution. Be sure to run testing on the brand you use to determine its shelf life when mixed, prior to selling the polish pre-mixed.
Are our products safe to handle?
While our pigments are non-toxic and no harmful effects are anticipated to the touch, you should always wear protective clothing to prevent direct contact with SCD. If direct contact should occur, wash the exposed areas with soap and water.
Will you have any additional SCD colors in the future?
We will display new items as they become available in our shop.
Why aren’t there other web sites offering this pigment?
"Smart Materials" are rare to come by as manufactures mainly work with major companies to move large quantities of the product. We cater to the everyday hobbyist who wants to be able to make their projects solar too by making smaller quantities available to the public!
Do you offer free samples?
We do not offer free samples at this time, however, we do have several promotions and contests on our FaceBook page and Instagram feed.
How will my order be sent to me?
To reduce shipping expenses, the pigments are sent to you in zip-lock plastic bags.
What is the turn around time for my order?
In normal conditions, we will fill your order and ship within 2-3 business days. We do not ship on the weekends. We do not guarantee or promise any shipping times.
Do you accept returns?
In the unlikely event you have a problem with your order in which we have error’d, contact us within 3 days of receipt and we will correct the issue. Otherwise we do NOT accept returns.
How do you accept payment?
At this time we accept PayPal, VISA, MasterCard, Discover or AMEX.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we will ship world-wide. For international order, please anticipate 15 - 20 business days for economy estimated delivery, 3-5 business days for Express International Shipping. Your order may be subject to import duties and taxes which are levied once the parcel reaches your country. You are responsible for paying additional charges for customs clearance.